STUDENT SUPPORT POSITION
The Nanwakolas Council is currently seeking a Student Support Worker to join our Nanwakolas team. The position is a full-time contract position and must be able to start in October 2023 and be available until April 2024. The Student Support Worker will be responsible for supporting a cohort of 16 Indigenous students completing a six-month Vancouver Island University Stewardship Technician Training Program. Each week throughout this in-community full-time program, there will be new courses that the Student Support Worker will be required to assist the students in completing. The Student Support Worker will report the Nanwakolas Cultural Capacity Coordinator, Charlene Everson.
- Maintain confidentiality of the students and tracking student progress;
- Prepare students for the course materials and the expectations of instructors;
- Participate in meetings with the Nanwakolas and VIU staff;
- Administer logistics associated with the in-community training;
- Provide support to students to ensure full participation and meaningful learning experiences, including classroom support, tutoring and mentorship, and fostering peer-to-peer learning;
- Liaise with students, instructors and VIU project managers.
- A strong communicator with the ability to work collaboratively and in small groups;
- Resides in Campbell River and has their own transportation;
- Preference given to former STTP student and can speak some Kwak’wala;
- A broad understanding of resource and environmental management in a First Nations context;
- Organized, personable, an ability to listen and be creative when it comes to problem solving;
- Ability to know when to step into a situation and know when to report to their supervisor;
- Experience with supporting students learning and assist students in a classroom setting;
- Experience in working with First Nations and/or direct related experience.
Please email resumes to Charlene Everson at email@example.com or by cell phone (250) 650-5218
Resumes must be received no later than 2:00 pm on September 22, 2023